In Other Lands by Sarah Reese Brennan
The Borderlands aren’t like anywhere else. Don’t try to smuggle a phone or any other piece of technology over the wall that marks the Border—unless you enjoy a fireworks display in your backpack. (Ballpoint pens are okay.) There are elves, harpies, and—best of all as far as Elliot is concerned—mermaids.
Elliot? Who’s Elliot? Elliot is thirteen years old. He’s smart and just a tiny bit obnoxious. Sometimes more than a tiny bit. When his class goes on a field trip and he can see a wall that no one else can see, he is given the chance to go to school in the Borderlands.
It turns out that on the other side of the wall, classes involve a lot more weaponry and fitness training and fewer mermaids than he expected. On the other hand, there’s Serene-Heart-in-the-Chaos-of-Battle, an elven warrior who is more beautiful than anyone Elliot has ever seen, and then there’s her human friend Luke: sunny, blond, and annoyingly likeable. There are lots of interesting books. There’s even the chance Elliot might be able to change the world.
- Bisexual male protagonist who is also Jewish (non-practicing)
- Won the Bisexual Book Award
- Nominated for the Locus Award, Mythopoeic Fantasy Award, and the Lodestar Award
- Iam’s review
- Alex Brown’s review
- Casey the Canadian Lesbarian’s review
- Lee Mandelo’s review
- Reviews by Jewish readers needed
- Reviews by MLM readers needed
Where to Find
- Published August 15th 2017 by Big Mouth House
- Hardcover ISBN13: 9781618731203)
- Paperback isbn13: 9781618731661