Nature is out of balance in the human world. The sun hasn’t shone in years, and crops are failing. Worse yet, strange and hostile creatures have begun to appear. The people’s survival hangs in the balance.
To solve the crisis, the oracle stones are cast, and Kaede and Taisin, two seventeen-year-old girls, are picked to go on a dangerous and unheard-of journey to Tanlili, the city of the Fairy Queen. Taisin is a sage, thrumming with magic, and Kaede is of the earth, without a speck of the otherworldly. And yet the two girls’ destinies are drawn together during the mission. As members of their party succumb to unearthly attacks and fairy tricks, the two come to rely on each other and even begin to fall in love. But the Kingdom needs only one huntress to save it, and what it takes could tear Kaede and Taisin apart forever.
The exciting adventure prequel to Malinda Lo’s highly acclaimed novel Ash is overflowing with lush Chinese influences and details inspired by the I Ching, and is filled with action and romance.
- Asian lesbian protagonists
- Nominated for the Gaylactic Spectrum Award
- Included on the Otherwise Long List
- Lambda Literary’s review
- Lady Business’s review
- The Lesbrary’s review
- Reviews by sapphic Asian readers needed
Where to Find
- Published April 5th 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
- Hardcover (ISBN13: 9780316040075)
- Paperback isbn13: 9780316039994