Pantomime by Laura Lam
In a land of lost wonders, the past is stirring once more . . .
Gene’s life resembles a debutante’s dream. Yet she hides a secret that would see her shunned by the nobility. Gene is both male and female. Then she displays unwanted magical abilities – last seen in mysterious beings from an almost-forgotten age. Matters escalate further when her parents plan a devastating betrayal, so she flees home, dressed as a boy.
The city beyond contains glowing glass relics from a lost civilization. They call to her, but she wants freedom not mysteries. So, reinvented as ‘Micah Grey’, Gene joins the circus. As an aerialist, she discovers the joy of flight – but the circus has a dark side. She’s also plagued by visions foretelling danger. A storm is howling in from the past, but will she heed its roar?
- Bisexual, nonbinary, intersex protagonist
- Won the Bisexual Book Award
- Nominated for the British Fantasy Award for Best Newcomer
- Cheryl Morgan’s review
- Morgan Doherty’s review
- Nicole Field’s review
- Reviews by intersex readers needed
Where to Find
- Published November 17th 2016 by Tor (first published February 5th 2013)
- Paperback ISBN13: 9781509807772