Ethan of Athos by Lois McMaster Bujold
Dr. Ethan Urquhart, chief biologist from the all-male world of Athos, must travel to other planets in search of new genetic material, as their current supply of ovarian tissue is no longer viable.
Ethan encounters what to him is practically an alien species — women! — and also finds himself hunted by Cetagandan ghem lords and helped out by brilliant female Dendarii officer Elli Quinn.
- Gay man protagonist raised in all-male society where homosexuality is the norm
Sexism and misogyny on Athos; Religious order that views women as evil; homophobia and homophobic slurs expressed by other societies; pervasive assumptions of gender binarism
- Punk’s review
- Tsana Dolichva’s review
- Tom’s comment as a gay man
- More reviews from queer reviewers needed
Where to Find
- Published December 15th 1986 by Baen
- Paperback ISBN13: 9780671656041